If you’ve already had an abortion, you may be struggling with your decision and not understanding why.
Relief is the most common reaction immediately following an abortion, but as time goes on many women (and men) have trouble dealing with the loss they feel. Months and even years after an abortion, significant symptoms can be present.
Some of those feelings are:
- Self-abuse or self-destructive behaviors
- Suicidal thoughts
- Anniversary reactions around the date of the abortion, or the due date
- Flashbacks of the abortion procedure
These and other side effects have been referred to as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
If you’ve experienced any of the following, maybe it’s time you talked about your abortion with someone who can help.
- Do you need to keep reminding yourself to just forget the abortion or put it behind you?
- Do you feel anxious about the idea of telling a loved one about your abortion?
- Is your abortion a secret that is holding you back from greater intimacy with others?
- Do you tend to look at life in terms of “before” and “after” the abortion?
- Are there traits about your “self” before the abortion that you lost but wish to regain?
- Do you become angry more easily?
- Do you have trouble with issues of trust and control?
You are not alone.
The caring and qualified staff at AAA Life Services wants to help you in this process of healing and moving past your abortion experience. We’re located right across the street from Clarion University in Clarion, Pa. and we offer free, nonjudgmental, compassionate and confidential peer counseling to help you have a more positive and hopeful future.
We know it may be a big step for you to contact us, but we know that if you’re burdened by the effects of abortion, it’s a step in the right direction.